Thursday, January 24, 2013

Royal Funeral: Margarita of Baden


The Royal Family attends HRH Princess Margarita of Baden Memorial Service

Belgrade, 24 January 2013 – Their Royal Highnesses Crown Prince Alexander, Crown Princess Katherine, Prince Philip, Princess Katarina (daughter of Princess Margarita and Prince Tomislav), Prince Nikola (son of Princess Margarita and Prince Tomislav) with his daughter Maria, Victoria de Silva (granddaughter), to both of them HRH Crown Princess Katherine was a godmother, and Sir Desmond de Silva, attended the memorial service for HRH Princess Margarita, formerly married to HRH Prince Tomislav, today in the Serbian Orthodox Church of Saint Sava in London.

The funeral was also attended by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh (uncle of HRH Princess Margarita), Sir Brian McGrath, HM Queen Anna Marie of Greece, HRH Princess Sarvath of Jordan and her two daughters, Prince Max and Princess Valerie of Baden, Prince Ludwig and Princess Mandi of Baden Prince Bernhard of Baden and Princess Stephanie Prince Leopold of Baden of Baden, Prince Michael of Baden, Prince Berthold of Baden, Princess Marie Louse of Baden, His Excellency Dr Popovic, Ambassador Republic of Serbia, and many other distinguished guests.

His Royal Highness Crown Prince Alexander II delivered a speech and said: “I first met Margarita when I was a young boy after her marriage to my uncle Prince Tomislav, the middle brother my father King Peter II. I would stay with my uncle and aunt at their farm in Sussex and we would were very close. I learnt a lot about Yugoslavia and our Royal House from my uncle while my aunt Margarita offered me practical advice about problems I was likely to encounter in life.They were very good to me and helped me grow up. Margarita was like a mother to me, having married a then Yugoslav Prince …”, concluding with “Margarita became interested in all things Yugoslav, especially in the Serbs and the Serbian orthodox church. She was very approachable – she was a real Serbian people’s princess. My family and I and the Serbian people shall miss her greatly. May dear Margarita rest in peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment