Wednesday, August 28, 2013

UK: Queen Victoria

An article from the EXPRESS written by Matthew Dennison regarding his latest book!


She applied rules to other people, her own family included, which she cheerfully broke herself.
And if this behaviour frequently made her infuriating to her loved ones, her ministers and her servants she herself never understood the cause of their irritation.

She was consistently inconsistent.

Early in her marriage she complained to her favourite uncle Leopold I of Belgium that she had no desire to have a big family. She went on to have nine children.

She deplored the immorality of the aristocracy but turned a blind eye to her own cousin marrying his mistress despite the mistress being an actress who had already given birth to four illegitimate children by three fathers.

When her eldest son, the funloving Bertie, Prince of Wales (who later became Edward VII), embarked on a series of affairs, she criticised him roundly for his bad behaviour which she blamed on his laziness. Yet she was determined to exclude him from royal work: she refused to allow him to see state papers and denied him a key to the red boxes. It was Victoria, therefore, who forced upon him a life of aimlessness.
Continue reading...



Aristocracy: The Duchess of Medinaceli

The Telegraph has now published an Obituary for the Duchess of Medinaceli!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10262447/The-Duchess-of-Medinaceli.html


Monday, August 26, 2013

UK: Baby Prince George of Cambridge

In his first interview since his son’s birth on July 22, Prince William said he and his wife were enjoying being parents but were looking forward to being able to sleep through the night again.
He added that Prince George was “doing very well” and reminded him of himself and his brother, Prince Harry, when they were children.

UK: Love is in the Marriage Redux?

Friends claim that the couple are so close that they will eventually formalise their reunion.
“Mark my words, they will remarry,” said one friend. “It is only a matter of time.”
Another said: “It wouldn’t surprise me at all. They are a wonderful couple together and, better still, pretty amazing parents.”
The couple have remained close since they divorced in 1996 and both live at Royal Lodge, the former country home of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, in Berkshire.
They joined Beatrice, 25, and her sister, Princess Eugenie, 23, for the weekend at Balmoral, the Queen’s Scottish retreat, earlier this month.
Continue reading...

©Tim Graham/Getty Images

Monday, August 19, 2013

Aristocracy: The Duchess of Medinaceli (1917-2013)



Doña Victoria Eugenia Fernández de Córdoba y Fernández de Henestrosa, 18th Duchess of Medinaceli, passed away at home, Seville's historic Casa de Pilatos, yesterday, August 18.

Her funeral took place in the Medinaceli ducal crypt, Toledo, this afternoon.

She is survived by only one of her four children, don Ignacio Medina y Fernández de Córdoba, Duke of Segorbe, second husband of Princess Maria da Gloria d'Orléans-Braganza.

Her eldest daughter, the Countess of Ofalia, was once married to Prince Max of Hohenlohe-Langenburg, predeceased her mother. The new Duke of Medinaceli, 19th holder of Spain's most renowned duchy, will be Prince Marco of Hohenlohe-Langenburg, the late countess' eldest son.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Eugenia_Fern%C3%A1ndez_de_C%C3%B3rdoba,_18th_Duchess_of_Medinaceli

http://www.vanitatis.com/noticias/2013-08-19/fallece-a-los-96-anos-la-duquesa-de-medinaceli-once-veces-grande-de-espana_18935/

Monday, August 12, 2013

+Prince Johan Friso of Orange-Nassau (1968-2013)


The state information service RVD has announced that prince Friso, in a coma since a skiing accident in February 2012, has died.

Friso died as a result of 'complications' after receiving serious brain damage in the skiing accident in Lech, Austria, in February 2012, the RVD said. He died on Monday morning at the Huis den Bosch palace, where he has been cared for since July.

The prince had been treated in the specialist Wellington hospital in London since his accident but was brought back to the Netherlands because 'no further treatment was necessary'. Since last November he was said to have shown signs of 'minimal consciousness'.

Friso, the second son of former queen Beatrix, married Mabel Wisse Smit in 2004 and the couple have two daughters.

- See more at: http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2013/08/breaking_news_prince_friso_has.php#sthash.gqm4qV0R.dpuf